Wiki Needs us

Part 1:

Reader’s Experience

As Digital Literature became more popular. Readers began sharing their experience to this new format called Digital Literature or “E-literature’. The most coming common example of e-literature are blogs, online articles, and even e-books. For example as stated by LA Weekly on a review on PRY an interactive app. Providing several videos and sounds clips, giving a new style of understanding the story line. Digital Literature is much more than just words on a screen. containing multiple tools, providing a new type of experience for the reader. Given a more interactive tone to the story. Ranging from hyperlinks to even music in the background gives a more refreshing approach than the traditional paper.

Hyperlinks on a text made it more interesting for the readers due to its more personal approach. When reading certain topics online, certain words are highlighted and a different color. these are called hyperlinks. Hyperlinks open new windows to provide new information. Providing the reader an easier way to understanding or grasp a new point of view on the topic. Giving the reader the option to select certain words or phrases makes the readers in control of the topic and provides a more personal approach.

Part 2:

Notable people and works

There are a number of notable authors, critics, and works associated with electronic literature. Michael Joyce’s Afternoon, a story is known as the first hypertext fiction, although this has been disputed,[11] and Stuart Moulthrop’s Victory Garden is another notable work of electronic literature.

Other particularly interesting and noteworthy pieces of digital literature are Nightingale’s Playground by Andy Campbell and Judi Alston. This interactive fiction is a link between the original concept of text based interactive fiction and gaming as we know it now.

Furthermore Shelley Jackon’s ‘Patchwork Girl’ is described as “an electronic fiction that manages to be at once highly original and intensely parasitic on its print predecessors.”[12]Based off ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’ by Mary Shelley, it gives the story a feminine twist with both the protagonist and Frankenstein’s monster now being female. Throughout the hypertext, Jackson weaves together fragments of nodes in resemblance to the stitching together of frankenstein’s monster’s limbs.

What I would add:

Samantha Gorman and Danny Cannizzaro creators of the Apple App PRY, “a book to watch and a film to touch” quoted by LAweekly, an ergodic e-literature. A story that is not read by moving your head from left to right, but by actually interacting with it. Readers have the option to pinch or expand their fingers to dig deeper into the story. With the addition of videos and sound clips add to the story’s narrative that makes it difficult to translate into paper.

Part 3:

Hayles, N. Katherine. Electronic Literature: New Horizons for the Literary. Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press, 2008

Moulthrop, Stuart. You Say You Want a Revolution: Hypertext and the Laws of Media. Postmodern Culture, v.1 n.3 (May, 1991).

Wark, McKenzie. “From Hypertext to Codework,” Hypermedia Joyce Studies, vol 3, issue 1 (2002).

Part 4:

I chose to write about readers experience. One of the most important of them all, the Readers Experience. Since becoming a new style of literature and how its individual tools it possesses provides a more personal approach. We learned how this new type of literature is changing the way we read and interacting with the story. Transitioning from the traditional paper text to a computer screen. What kind of interaction are you getting? I mentioned hyperlinks, in my opinion a really cool tool, so the readers can see one of the biggest changes to format. From my personal experience, they provided me with a more refreshing point of view on a new topic. When it came to the rhetorical situation, I chose the reader, without the readers stories wouldn’t get noticed. With that in mind, how this new style of literature is changing the way we read. Think about publicity more importantly word of mouth. Words start to be spread about this new style, people want to know what makes it so different. In other words the readers are the most important part in this situation.

When it came to part 2, I decided to add the portion of PRY. The creators of PRY did such an amazing job with this story, in my opinion, they should be recognize for their work. This story changed my point of view on reading. The way they make the readers interact with the app, made it more interesting to read and actually connect to the characters.  Not your typical boring paper boring sentences. All of those cool videos and sounds, that follow the story, to me by surprise. These guys should be recognize, for the coolest way of approaching an interesting story. Hands down this story will absolutely be terrible if its ever translated to paper. Certain noises and videos really helped understanding the story on a more personal level. At times I thought I was the protagonist. This type of connection is unique, a great story i had the pleasure of reading.

Leave a Reply